Thursday, September 19, 2013

How to crisp up your spinach or lettuce

Spinach is a green that is a staple in my house, but it seems like no matter how much I use it & how fast I try to use it, if I do not store it in a air tight mason jar that is just seems to wilt or get softer than I would like before I would like. The other day I was talking to my husbands' grandma and she said something about trying to give it an ice bath, so does it on her lettuce & stated " I don't know why it wouldn't work for Spinach." Well I got off the phone with her to give it a try and much to my surprise it worked fast & great!!

All you do is literally give it an ice bath. place your spinach, or lettuce, in a bowl, cover in cold water & a bunch of ice cubes. I let mine set for about 10-15 minutes. Drain it, dry it & voila you have crisp spinach again. Easy right?

Tip: as mentioned earlier I do usually like to store my spinach & lettuce in air tight mason jars & it keeps for weeks on weeks - nice & crisp & does not get soggy or turn brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us your feedback