I am ready to get back at it now so let's start it off with an easy way to make grilled cheese for a big crowd all at one time. I love comfort foods with grilled cheese & homemade tomato soup a good go to, quick, easy, satisfying meal. The thing I don't like about having this for a meal for big crowds is that I could never get all the grilled cheese's done at the same time, so either someone got cold sandwiches or we had to eat in shifts which is just not ideal. So the other night I was thinking about how I could make them all at the same time, so they are all hot, all the way melted through & ready to sit down & eat at the same time.
Here was my genius thought:
1.Get out a either a sheet pan or a big jelly roll pan & make your sandwiches as you normally would
2. Place that pan in a 375 degree oven AND place another pan on top of it. Let it cook for about 8 minutes
3. After 8 minutes take the top pan off & flip the sandwiches & cook for another 8 minutes. they are done when they are a nice golden brown.
My homemade tomato soup recipe I use is one I found online a long time ago (so I do not know where it came from, sorry).
Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
· 4 tablespoons butter
· 1/4 cup chopped onion
· 1/4 cup chopped celery
· 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 3 cups milk
· 2 teaspoons sugar
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon (scant) ground black pepper
· 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, un-drained
· chopped basil leaves or fresh grated Parmesan, optional
In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat. Add chopped onion and celery; cook, stirring, until tender. Stir flour into the vegetable mixture, stirring until well incorporated. Gradually stir in milk and add the sugar, salt, and pepper. Continue to heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens and begins to boil.
Dice tomatoes smaller or puree in a blender or processor, if desired. Heat tomatoes in a separate saucepan then gradually add them to the first mixture, stirring constantly. If desired, garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or fresh chopped basil leaves.