Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies



I love the fall season for many reasons: the temperature in my area is just perfect, the beautiful colors on the trees, the smell of harvest in the air, the thought of the aroma of pumpkin, spice & everything nice filling up my home is calming, relaxing, & peaceful.

Even though you may be picturing someone sitting on their deck enjoying a relaxing afternoon with a steaming hot pot of coffee, a good book & one of these sweet potato cookies in their hand.....I am not that person :) I am not a coffee drinker, nor do I get a chance to relax on a deck in the fall, & I have never been a big book reader, BUT I do LOVE these sweet potato cookies.

I came across this decedent recipe for sweet potato chocolate chip cookies one day when I had an abundance of sweet potatoes laying around that needed to be used & I wanted a new & interesting way to use them & here is what I found. I made a few revisions to the recipe.

I know what you are thinking vegetables in my baked goods, come on now that is sinful & you would be right - it is sinfully GREAT! I love, love, love these & can't get enough of them. they are great for fall or winter & since they have vegetables they are better for you so why not indulge...right?

Ingredients:
1/2 cup boiled & mashed sweet potatoes 
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 cup backed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place parchment paper on baking sheet & set aside.

2. Cut sweet potatoes into cubes &place in just enough water to cover them & boil until soft when pierced with fork.

3. Pour the water & cooked sweet potatoes into a blender & puree smooth.

4. In large bowl, mix dry ingredients together. Set aside.

5. In medium bowl, whisk eggs & sugar together. Add oil & vanilla , whisk again. Fold in pureed sweet potatoes.

6. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients & mix them together.

7. Fold in chocolate chips.

8. Scoop cookie dough (I used my ice scoop scoop to keep them consistent) onto your baking sheets lined with parchment paper.

9. Bake on middle rack for 10-12 minutes or until the "bounce" back when you touch the tops of them.

10. Let cool completely on wire rack. Enjoy with a big glass of milk!


When I make these I triple the batch. Begin by rolling the dough into "logs" & wrap each log in wax paper & clear plastic wrap & put them in the freezer for later use. This way when I have unexpected company, have an event that I need to bring baked goods for, or just have a craving, I can pull the "log" out of the freezer, let them thaw overnight & bake as indicted above.






1 comment:

Please leave us your feedback